Insurance policy statement
Kiama Council, as part of its risk management policy, maintains insurance cover to protect it, Councillors, Officers, Employees and Volunteers as well as its assets against claims arising from Council's activities or from natural occurrences such as storm damage, vehicle impact etc. Council also maintains insurances as required by law (for example, workers' compensation insurance and compulsory third party motor insurance).
Council maintains the following policies:
- 1. Public liability insurance protects Council against claims for negligence arising out of its operations. Council is a member of Statewide Mutual Limited, a self-insurance mutual, consisting of Local Authorities throughout NSW who have joined together to achieve results for the benefit of the communities that they serve.
- 2. Professional indemnity insurance, also effected through Statewide Mutual Limited, protects Council against claims arising out of errors or omissions in professional advice.
- 3. Councillors & officers liability insurance protects Councillors and Officers against any civil claims arising out of their normal functions as an officer or Councillor. The policy also covers Council for employment practices such as wrongful dismissal, harassment claims etc
- 4. Council's property protection policy is effected through Statewide Mutual Limited and protects Council's assets such as buildings, amenities, the contents of buildings etc., from loss as a result of storm, fire, vandalism, accidental damage etc.
- 5. Council maintains a personal accident policy covering Councillors during travel to, attendance at, and travel from any local government activity. Volunteers of Council are also covered under this policy while performing volunteer work for Council.
- 6. A workers' compensation insurance policy is maintained in accordance with the requirements of the NSW Workers' Compensation legislation with Statecover Mutual Limited, a mutual similar to Statewide Mutual Limited.
Last updated: Tuesday 5 February, 2013