Submit a Development Application (DA)


How do I submit a DA?

If your proposed development doesn't meet the criteria for exempt or complying development, you'll need to submit the following forms to lodge a development application (DA):

You must submit:

  • one printed copy of all information required.
  • electronic versions (PDF format, clearly titled, USB stick, DVD, CD) of:
    • plans larger than A3 paper size 
    • documents of more than 10 pages each, such as consultant reports, statements of environmental effects, specifications, etc.

Can I get some help?

DA checklists and other application forms

Find all our Development Assessment checklists and other application forms in the one place. Our checklists are essential to ensuring you supply us with all the information we need and will help reduce processing delays with your DA. Our other application forms include building certificates, activity approval applications, septic tank approvals, and more.

Development Assessment Unit (DAU)

Prior to lodging a Development Application (DA), customers can attend a DAU meeting to discuss their proposed development and address any issues.

Our DAU provides a service to assist customers who are considering the following types of development:

  • Dual Occupancy
  • Unit development consisting of three (3) or more dwellings
  • New Commercial development
  • New Industrial development
  • Any large scale development proposal

The DAU consists of our Senior Town Planner, Senior Building Surveyor, Landscape Officer, and Subdivision and Development Engineer. The Unit can also invite professionals from other departments of Council depending on the type of proposal being considered at DAU.

The Unit meets on Wednesday afternoons to discuss development proposals that require referral and assessment by each member. 

For other proposals not listed above, customers are advised that Development Assessment Staff are available to attend to consultations at the counter at Council's Administration Centre, between 8.45 and 11am business days.

All requests for a DAU meeting shall be in accordance with the following requirements:

  • Download the DAU meeting form and complete.
  • Submit the DAU meeting form and accompanying documentation to Council via email, attention to Council's Secretary Development Assessment.
  • The applicant will be contacted to confirm the next available time for a DAU meeting.

All requests for a DAU meeting must be accompanied by all the information as referenced in the form.  

The Kiama Development Control Plan (DCP) 2012 - Chapter 5 - Medium Density Development, adopted at Council's meeting held 19th July 2016, requires all proposed development subject to this Chapter to be considered at a DAU meeting. This includes development that comprises of at least three dwellings and classified as Residential Flat Buildings, Multi Dwelling Housing, Boarding Houses, Group Homes, Attached dwellings, Seniors Housing and Shop Top Housing.

A fee, in accordance with Council's current fees and charges will also be charged for a design assessment by an independent architect, appointed by Council to provide written advice and attend the designated DAU meeting, on the design/character issues of the proposed Medium Density Development.

The DAU meeting fee for the above types of development is to be paid in full within two business days from the time the meeting date is confirmed by Council. Council will then engage an architect who will be provided with the submitted information (for a period of at least seven days) who will advise on the design/character issues of the proposed Medium Density Development. The architect will be present at the DAU meeting to present the advice given. This advice will be included in the DAU minutes.

Should you have further enquiries regarding the Development Assessment Unit Meeting please contact our Planning Division on (02) 4232 0444.

DA staff consultations

Our DA staff are available for consultation between 8.30 and 11am business days. Appointments may be made outside these hours directly with the officer concerned, subject to availability.

What happens next?

Our what happens next section contains information on approval times, what the granting of Development Consent means, when you need to obtain a Construction Certificate, and what a Principal Certifying Authority is.

What other information is available?

The Kiama Local Environmental Plan 2011 is our overarching view of development opportunities within our municipality. It contains information on land zones and the types of development permitted.

The Kiama Development Control Plan 2012  contains information on different types of development and the objectives that need to be met to meet community expectations. It contains controls for development that must be addressed in any development applications.