Swimming Pool Information


Do I need to register my pool?

Yes. By law, all pools must be registered with the NSW Government's Swimming Pool Register.  

A number of self-assessment checklists are available on the Swimming Pool Register website.

Use the checklists to ensure your pool barrier fencing complies with relevant regulations.

Do I need a Compliance Certificate?

If you own a property with a pool, you must get a Compliance Certificate prior to the sale or lease of your property .

To obtain a Compliance Certificate you will need to get a Council officer or an accredited private certifier to inspect your swimming pool and pool barrier.

Periodic inspections of pools located with tourist and visitor accommodation or that form a part of unit blocks are mandatory.

Exemptions to these requirements can apply in certain circumstances. 

Inspection fees apply and are listed under the Swimming Pools Act in Council's Fees & Charges and in the Request for Pool Barrier Inspection form below.

How do I organise an inspection?

Complete and submit the form below and fees required to Council.

Email Council at or phone (02) 4232 0444 if you need more information. 

Alternatively, you may organise for an accredited private certifier to inspect your pool. 

Accredited private certifiers have authority to issue notices that direct you to carry out works in order for you pool to comply with safety requirements.

What happens after an inspection?

Council will issue a Compliance Certificate if your pool complies with Swimming Pool Act safety requirements and is listed on the NSW Swimming Pools Register.

If your pool does not comply, we will let you know what work needs to be done to be done. 

When you have completed the work, you will need to organise a Council re-inspection and pay re-inspection fees.

How long is a Compliance Certificate valid?

3 years from the date of issue provided you make no changes to your pool barrier.

What if I think my pool is exempt?

Please read our information on swimming pool exemptions

If you believe yours fits this category, you can apply for an exemption by submitting the below form and required fees to Council.

However you must satisfy Council that it is not reasonable, or is impractical, for your swimming pool to comply with the requirements. 

You must satisfy Council that alternate provisions have been made to restrict access to your swimming pool.

What is Council's Swimming Pool Barrier Inspection Program?

Every 3 years Council conducts mandatory inspections of all swimming pool barriers in the municipality.

Inspections are conducted on all backyard pools, as well as pools located at these accommodation types:

  • backpacker
  • bed and breakfast
  • hotel
  • motel
  • serviced apartments
  • residence of more than two occupancies.

We may also conduct inspections outside of the mandatory 3 years. 

More information is available on our Swimming Pool Barrier Inspection Program including circumstances where we conduct additional inspections (see Section 4).