Learn To Swim
View our LTS Newsletter here.
View our Coaching newsletter here.
All Learn To Swim: Please view our swimwear policy here.
Our Learn to Swim Program aims to provide a happy and safe environment where individuals can learn to be confident in the water.
As they explore the aquatic environment, each individual's progress and development will be guided by Austswim trained instructors.
After progressing through carefully graded Learn to Swim classes, children can join preliminary squad training aimed at improving stamina and developing technique in a variety of strokes and then move onto coaching.
Baby water awareness
This program works toward providing independence in the water (with an adult close by) as the children play games, sing songs and have fun.
Nothing replaces care and supervision in the water.
Our Baby Water Awareness Program is available for parents with their baby from 6 months.
The baby awareness program familiarises your baby with water in preparation for the Swim School Program.
Before entering this program there are many things you can do for your child:
- Use the bath time to explore water from Day one.
- When your child is ready, get into the family bath with them. Let them explore the water, use toys. Gently (never force) begin to put water on the baby's head and face. Give your child a cue (e.g. "1, 2, 3" or "ready, set, go") then gently tip some water over your child's head. Always give the child the cue, they will soon know what to expect.
- Have showers with your child.
- Visit the pool so your child can get to know the surrounds.
On entering a program:
- Please ensure your child, if not toilet trained, is wearing a waterproof nappy.
- Enrol for lessons once/twice a week for 10 weeks or part thereof.
- Please bring plenty of towels and a familiar toy.
- Please wear comfortable swimwear. Wearing a shirt helps your child hold on to you.
- Remember, children develop at their own time and pace (do not compare).
- Whenever you handle your child, it is important that they feel secure and safe with your support.
- The more you demonstrate yourself, e.g. face in water or hair wet, the faster your child is likely to learn.
The most important things you can bring for your child are understanding, love and patience and a willingness to have a go.
- Bookings for lessons will be conducted on a term basis.
- There is a comprehensive range of classes offered.
- All bookings must be accompanied by a completed enrolment form and payment for the term.
- Lessons must be paid in full for the whole term (usually 10 weeks) before the first lesson commences.
- All children in our existing program will be given preference in our new program.
- All children will be graded prior to the end of the term, so that parents will know what classes to put them into for the following term.
- Bookings during the term are subject to availability.
- Make-up lessons for classes that are missed will only be given if you have notified us, either in person or by phone, prior to the lesson.
- A maximum of one make-up lesson is allowed per term and this must be completed by the end of term.
Swim School including holiday clinics may be booked at reception or over the phone. Note that payment by phone must be by credit card (Visa, MasterCard).
We run the following class types: Babies, Pre-School, School Age, Squads, Coaching and Private Lessons.
Please enquire about class types at reception during business hours.
||6 months to 2 years
Parent and Child
competition and fitness training
||60 to 90 mins
- Remain inside the centre for the duration of the lesson.
- Ensure that your child has been to the toilet before the lesson.
- Minimise playtime in the water before the lesson, as this can tire children and also make them too cold.
- Leave Leisure Centre equipment alone. It is intended for use by instructors during the lesson.
- Wait in the allocated area for the instructor to be ready to commence the lesson.
- Feel free to talk to instructors and desk staff if you have any concerns, need information or if there is anything in particular we need to know about your child.
Occasionally there will be new instructors gaining experience by working alongside our instructors and also with the children. If an instructor is absent, the class will continue with another member of the team.
As a team, we endeavour to provide you and your child with the best service available. With your help and support this can be achieved.
Swim coaching for all levels
Our coaching sessions are run by an accredited Swim Coach. Session times and days may vary from Summer to Winter.
Please contact reception for bookings.
Adult stroke correction is available all year round.
While in our care, children have the right to:
- feel safe and secure at all times
- be heard
- have fun
- develop at their own pace