As a prime holiday destination on the NSW South Coast, we work closely with Kiama Tourism and the Kiama and District Chamber of Commerce to provide ongoing tourism opportunities for business and visitors.
We contribute to our local tourism industry by:
- providing financial assistance, sponsorship and/or management of community events, such as Kiama's New Year fireworks, annual Christmas lighting display, and regular markets in our main villages
- providing advice and support to tourism operators and business owners through our Economic Development Unit
- maintaining public facilities for tourists and residents, including tidal rock pools, toilet and change facilities, water refill stations, boat ramps, shared pathways, lifeguard service, and parking areas
- operating our 5 Kiama Coast Holiday Parks throughout the Municipality
- hosting conferencing and wedding events at our venue hire facility, The Pavilion, Kiama.
Feedback sought for review of Tourism in Kiama (by 28 February)
The NSW Government recently established new Destination Networks including Destination Sydney Surrounds South which includes Wollongong, Shellharbour, Southern Highlands, Shoalhaven and Kiama Local Government Areas.
Kiama Council has decided to review the structure and funding of tourism in the Kiama Local Government Area. In the 2015/2016 budget year Council expended approximately $350,000 directly on tourism.
Council is seeking comment from tourism operators on the options to structure and fund tourism going forward. Community engagement will assist in Councillors making a decision on the preferred option at the March Council meeting.
The two options being considered are:
- Return the Strategy and Marketing back to Kiama Tourism with a new performance based funding agreement between Council and Kiama Tourism. Kiama Tourism would be responsible for tourism strategy, delivery of information services at the Visitor Information Centre, product development and all marketing activities.
- Council establishing an in-house Tourism business unit including the management of all activities currently undertaken by Kiama Tourism. This would include product and infrastructure development, strategy and all marketing activities. Council would be guided by an industry advisory committee of local industry and skills-based people.
It is important to note that neither option would reduce Council's commitment to tourism funding.
For further information review the report submitted to the December 2016 Council meeting.
To make a submission you can:
- complete the online form below
- download the printable form
- pick up a form from Council's administration centre
- or call 4232 0444 and request a form be emailed to you
Deadline for submissions is 28 February 2017.
Please provide your submission to:
General Manager, Kiama Municipal Council, PO Box 75, Kiama NSW 2533