Hindmarsh Park garden bed banner

What your rates payments are used for

Rates are collected from landowners to allow council to administer various laws and regulations that help maintain and improve services and facilities for the community. These services include community services, sporting and recreation services, environmental planning, public health, environmental protection and waste collection, treatment and disposal.

For information about payment options please view our rates payment page. You can also find more information about rates in our frequently asked questions section.

Our rating and waste services fees and charges also provides additional information.

Consult our Fees & Charges schedule for 2016/17.    Search using Adobe Acrobat's Find tool.  Hint: press Ctrl-F  

Find out more about the topic of Land Values in this July newsletter (PDF 3.1MB) from the NSW Valuer General.


Your rate instalments fall due on 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May and in order to avoid interest charges you should pay them on or before their due dates. Interest on overdue instalments is charged at the rate of 8% pa calculated daily.

Pensioners who receive a Pensioner Concession on their property may elect to pay rates other than by quarterly instalments. Interest accrues on overdue instalments but is waived in full, provided rates are paid fully by 31 May each year.

Should instalments remain unpaid, interest at 8% per annum calculated daily will be applicable.

There are various options available to you for paying your instalments.

Pensioner rebates

A rebate of a maximum of $250 per annum on a property which is the pensioner's sole or principal place of residence applies to all pensioners who hold a Pensioner Concession Card.  Pensioners who are granted a concession card between instalment periods are eligible to apply for a rebate on a pro rata basis for all ensuing instalment periods within the rating year.

Section 603 Certificate

A section 603 rating certificate specifies any outstanding rates, charges and debts payable to council in respect of a parcel of land (Section 603 refers to the NSW Local Government Act).

You may apply for a Section 603 Certificate at any time, but a certificate is most often needed before a property settlement.

To apply for a Section 603 Certificate you can download our Section 603 Certificate application form, complete and return it to Council.  

Applying for a farmland rating

If you wish to have your land categorised as farmland for the purpose of rating, you will need to complete a farmland rating application form. Please call 0242 320444 to contact our Rates Officer who will send you the form.

Categorisation as farmland - Section 515 of the Local Government Act

  1. Land is to be categorised as "farmland" if it is a parcel of rateable land valued as one assessment and its dominant use is for farming (that is, the business or industry of grazing, animal feedlots, dairying, pig-farming, poultry farming, viticulture, orcharding, bee-keeping, horticulture, vegetable growing, the growing of crops of any kind, forestry or aquaculture within the meaning of the Fisheries Management Act 1994 , or any combination of those businesses or industries) which:
    • has a significant and substantial commercial purpose or character, and
    • is engaged in for the purpose of profit on a continuous or repetitive basis (whether or not a profit is actually made).
  2. Land is not to be categorised as farmland if it is rural residential land.
  3. The regulations may prescribe circumstances in which land is or is not to be categorised as farmland.