It's the law
Seat belt laws in NSW:
- All seatbelts, child restraints and booster seats must be approved for use in NSW, properly positioned and properly fitted and fastened for the passenger.
- All drivers and passengers must wear a seatbelt.
- For laws and information on child restraints refer to the child restraints and seatbelts link below.
- An exemption from wearing a seatbelt may be provided for medical purposes and must be supported by an exemption certificate.
- Exemptions may also apply to drivers and passengers travelling in older vehicles that are not required to have approved seatbelts fitted.
- Taxi drivers and their passengers must be properly restrained.
Information about wearing seat belts and associated fines is provided by the Roads & Maritime Services.
The Roads & Maritime Services "Clip Every Trip" campaign is ongoing and aimed at rural male drivers aged 30-55 years. Check out the 30 second clip below.
Child restraints provide protection for children involved in crashes. Child restraint laws apply to children up to the age of seven.
The Choose Rignt, Buckle Right brochure will provide you with an easy reference guide to determine what restraint is suitable for your child no matter what their age is.
The Child Restraint Evaluation Program provides valuable information to help you evaluate and choose the right child restraint.
The local RMS Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations listed below provide an installation service for your child restraint. But did you know that for a small fee they also will inspect (and adjust if necessary) any child restraints that you have fitted yourself.
- Solarshade, 1/47 - 49 Shandan Circuit, ALBION PARK RAIL, (02) 4235 7555
- Illawarra Mobile Tuning and Mechanical, Unit 2/152 Industrial Road, OAK FLATS, (02) 4257 3208
- Albion Park Mitsubishi, 2 Myle Place, ALBION PARK RAIL, (02) 4257 4111
If you would like further information on seat belts, please contact Council's Road Safety Officer on 02 4232 0444.