Bulky Waste Drop-Off postponed

Published on 24 August 2020

Items at our Household Bulky Waste Drop Off

Kiama Council has postponed the Household Bulky Waste Drop-Off scheduled for 12-20 September 2020, as a COVID-19 safety measure.

Mayor Mark Honey said the Council decision to postpone the event was made with the interests of the community and staff.

“Our Drop-Off events are extremely popular, and I understand people will be disappointed, but we’ve come to the conclusion the risk is unacceptable,” Clr. Honey said.

“We usually get more than two thousand people coming through our Minnamurra Waste and Recycling Facility during these Drop-Offs, with 10 staff managing the site.”

“Given current COVID-19 restrictions, and the likelihood that these may tighten in coming weeks, the decision was the most sensible one to make.”

Household Bulky Waste Drop off events enable residents to drop off their large household bulky items that would not normally go in the red lid landfill bin, such as lounges, whitegoods and mattresses.

It is a free service funded by the urban and rural waste management service charge.

It features an Up 4 Grabs tent, where residents who have ‘dropped off’, can browse re-usable furniture, bikes and other items and take them for free.

“Managing the Up 4 Grabs tent in particular in a COVID-Safe way, given how popular it is, would be extremely difficult in terms of sanitising items and ensuring social distancing.”

Clr. Honey said that instead the Drop Off in March 2021 will run for an extra two weeks, and residents will be able to book two visits during that time.

This is to allow residents to dispose of their household items built up over the longer period.

“The funds that were to be used for the September event will be put directly toward an extended Drop Off in March 2021.”

Clr. Honey said while community and staff safety was first and foremost in postponing the Drop-Off, the estimated cost of enacting COVID-19 safety measures in September was also a factor.

“We spent a lot of time and effort working out if we could still proceed, what that would involve, and how much that would cost.”

“The estimate was approximately $120,000 extra to meet safety requirements. Which really would not have been a responsible use of finances.”