Development Advice Services

Level 1 - Self Service

If you need advice on planning and development matters, we offer 4 levels of service.

To find the level that's right for you, we'll take you through what each level means starting with Level 1 - Self Service.

Before you start designing and preparing, your first step is to check the policies and rules that apply to your proposed development.

You can do this by entering your address into the NSW Planning Portal's ePlanning Spatial Viewer.

It is usually the Local Environmental Plan.

However, other state government policies may also apply. 

You need to know about:

You can also get a Section 10.7 Planning Certificate, which identifies the land constraints on your property.

Another online tool is the NSW Planning Portal.

The Planning Portal can help you to identify what development may be allowed on your property.

If you would like to contact Council for information, it is best to do so as early as possible in your design process.

Level 2 - Duty officers

You can phone our Customer Service Officers on (02) 4232 0444 between 8.30-11am and ask to speak to a Duty Officer.

Our Duty Officers can answer general enquiries about your property such as:

  • zoning
  • constraints
  • permissible uses
  • site suitability
  • agency consultation
  • process and procedures.

Our Building Assessment Officers generally handle domestic scale developments (such as single dwelling, alterations, additions, sheds, garages, swimming pools).

Our Planning Assessment Officers generally handle inquiries about large scale developments (such as subdivision, dual occupancy, medium density developments).

More complex inquiries should involve application to the Development Assessment Unit (DAU).

The DAU is a fee service for a face-to-face meeting with a range of Council’s technical experts involved in development assessment.

DAU also provides you with written advice.

Level 3 - Pre DA formal advice

We recommended you use this service is your proposed development is for:

  • single dwellings (including alterations and additions)
  • rural dwellings
  • secondary dwellings (granny flats)
  • dual occupancy development
  • change of use
  • home business
  • food shops and commercial development
  • small subdivision (fewer than 10 lots).

If you need information from more than one of our technical officers (such as a Planner or a Development Engineer), we can arrange this through written correspondence.

We'll provide you with a researched and detailed written response to the advice you seek.

Our response is provided by mail or email and generally within 14 days of receiving your application.

There is a minimum fee for Pre DA formal advice (see our Fees and Charges).

This method avoids the need for a Development Assessment Unit (DAU) meeting, which is suited to large and complex developments.

Level 4 - Development Assessment Unit meetings

A proposed development must be considered at a Development Assessment Unit (DAU) meeting if it is subject to Chapter 6 - Medium Density Development of Kiama DCP 2020(PDF, 3MB):

  • Topic 6.5
  • Topic 6.6
  • Topic 6.7.

Our DAU can help customers who are considering the following development types:

  • multi-dwelling housing (3 or more on a site)
  • new commercial
  • new industrial
  • residential flat buildings
  • shop top housing
  • mixed use development
  • large subdivision (greater than 10 lots) 
  • boarding houses
  • group homes
  • seniors housing.

We will appoint an independent architect to attend your DAU meeting and to provide written advice on any design or character issues with your proposed medium density development.

Our DAU team usually includes our:

  • Development Assessment Coordinator (Chair)
  • Building Assessment Coordinator
  • Subdivision and Development Engineer
  • Landscape Officer
  • DAU Secretary.

Depending on the type of your proposal, professionals from other Council departments may be invited your meeting.

DAU meets Wednesday afternoons to discuss development proposals that require referral and assessment by each member.

A fee applies for DAU meetings (see our Fees and Charges).

Request a DAU meeting form

Need approval from other agencies?

Your proposal may need approval from other government agencies.

Where possible, we can help you to identify them.

However, it is your responsibility to find out which approvals are required.

Agencies may include:

We strongly recommend that you consult with the relevant agencies as early as possible.