Access to Information (GIPA)


The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW) (GIPA) provides you with rights to information.

Council cannot publish any copyright protected material on websites, or provide any copies (including by email) of this material under the GIPA Act unless the copyright owner has expressly consented. 

This means that most building plans and reports are protected under these laws.

Even though you may be the current property owner, or the person that commissioned these plans or reports you cannot obtain a copy of these documents from Council without the express consent of the copyright owner.

Please note that documents do not have to be marked with the copyright symbol © for this to apply.

Any material affected by copyright legislation may be viewed at Council’s Customer Service Centre (by prior arrangement), but no copies or photographs can be made.

For the purpose of fulfilling Council’s functions under the EPA Act, we can publish copies of DA plans and other copyright material on our website, relying on the indemnity under the EPA Regulation, during the DA submission period of the assessment phase only.

  Read our Easy Read Version of Access to Information

Finding Open Access information

Public Officer

Council's Public Officer is Sue Basa.  Sue can be contacted by phoning (02) 4232 0444 or by

Under Section 343 Local Government Act 1993, our Public Officer is subject to the direction of our General Manager.

In addition to assisting people to gain access to Council's public documents, our Public Officer may do the following:

  • deal with requests from the public concerning Council's affairs
  • receive submissions made to Council
  • accept service of documents on behalf of Council
  • represent Council in any legal or other proceedings.

Council's Public Officer also performs other functions as may be conferred or imposed by the General Manager, or by or under the Local Government Act.

Fact sheets

Applications for information 

For more information visit the Information and Privacy Commission website.

Finding Open Access Information
Open Access informationWhere do I find it?What is it?
Activity approvalsOnline servicesYou can use the standard application enquiry within the DA Tracker Application.  Specify your required criteria within this search.
Annual comparative reportsNSW Government Office of Local GovernmentThe reports  provide information on how Council is performing and how this performance compares to that of other similar councils
Annual ReportsAnnual ReportsCouncil's Annual Report, including Financial Report and Auditors Report and Bodies Exercising Functions Delegated by Local Authority
Building CertificatesInformal access application (Development Application)Records of Building Certificates issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. Application fees and charges will apply
Code of ConductPoliciesThe conduct obligations of Council officials. For copies of previous version please contact Council
Code of Meeting PracticePoliciesProcedures for all Council and Council Committee meetings
Complying Developments DeterminedOnline servicesYou can use the standard application enquiry within the DA Tracker Application. Specify your required criteria within this search and select or type "Complying Development Certificate" within the Application Type field.
Council Meetings including:
Business papers, confidential committee, meeting dates, public access information
Meetings & CommitteesCouncil meeting dates, agendas, business papers, reports, minutes & Code of Meeting Practice.
Councillor Expenses PolicyRefer to Payment of Expenses and Provision of FacilitiesPolicy for expenses incurred by and provision of facilities to Councillors
Council voting pattern register

Voting register 2020 onwards - council meetings

Voting register pre-2020

Section 375A of the Local Government Act 1993 requires the voting patterns on all planning matters considered by meetings of Council be recorded
Community Land - Plans of Management (POM)Plans of Management for reservesPlans of management for crown and community land
Council contracts registerAccess to information - Contract registerContracts valued in excess of $150,000
DelegationsDelegationsA register of the functions delegated to the General Manager, Mayor and officers of the Council.
Development Applications Currently AdvertisedOnline servicesA list of applications that are currently on exhibition in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
Development Applications Recently DeterminedOnline servicesA list of development applications that have recently been determined in the last 31 days  in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.  For applications outside of this date range please use the standard application enquiry within the DA Tracker Application.
Development Application RegisterOnline servicesYou can use the standard application enquiry within the DA Tracker Application.  Specify your required criteria within this search.
Development ConsentsLatest development consentsA list of recent DA consents issued by Council
Development Control PlansDevelopment Control PlansDetailed development guidelines and controls to specific types of development or areas of land.
Development Plans & PoliciesStrategic PlanningPlans and policies for the long term strategic framework for land use.  Including Local Environmental Plan, Section 94 Plans, Heritage and Kiama Urban Strategy.
Disclosures of Councillor and Designated Persons Pecuniary InterestOPIAD - Informal access application required. Information contained within the returns is not available on Council's website. Returns are available for inspection at Council's Administration Building during normal business hours. Copies may be made in accordance with the GIPA Regulation Part 2 (14) (b)Required to be made and lodged by Councillors and Designated Persons under Part 4 of the Model Code of Conduct
Returns of Interest of Councillors, designated persons and delegatesThese documents may be viewed free of charge at Council’s Customer Service Centre.  Please complete an Informal GIPA Application to do so. 
Disclosure LogAccess to information - Disclosure logFormal access applications received that are likely to be of interest to members of the public, will be in the disclosure log. The disclosure log contains non-personal information only
Equal Employment Opportunity - Fairness and Equity PolicyPoliciesDescribes Council's commitment to equality, dignity and respect in the workplace
Integrated Planning ReportingCouncil PlansCouncil's 10 year plan for its vision of working together for a healthy, sustainable and caring community along with its Delivery Program, Long Term Financial Plan and Resourcing Strategy.
Investment RegisterBusiness PapersMonthly investment reports are included in Business Papers for Council Meetings and are available on the "Business Paper" section of Council's website.
Land RegisterCurrently being reviewed - older versions may be available upon submission of an informal access applicationA register of land vested in or under the control of Kiama Municipal Council.
Leases and LicencesAvailable upon submission of an informal access applicationLeases and licences on community land that Kiama Municipal Council has entered into.
Plans of ManagementPlansPlans of Management for community land.
Policy documents



A list (not exhaustive) of some of Council's policies
Political Donations RegisterNSW Electoral Commission (including current donations and expenditure declarations lodged by Councillors)Information regarding the disclosure of political donations lodged by candidates, groups, members of parliament, local government Councillors, political parties and political donors can be found on the Electoral Funding Authority website.
Public registersThe information is contained within registers located in Council's Authority database. A copy of a register is available on completion of an informal request for information form through Council's Customer Services.Public registers contain information relating to Notices, Orders and Penalty Infringement Notices (PIN) issued by Council. Public registers are required to be developed under legislation that includes but is not limited to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, the Local Government Act, the Protection of the Environment Operations Act, the Public Health Act and the Food Act.
Variations to Development StandardsVariations to Development Standards

Council submits a quarterly report on variations to development standards to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. Variations to development standards are where determined development applications have resulted in a variation to a development standard. Development standards are outlined in State Environmental Planning Policies or Local Environmental Plans. 

Dwelling ApprovalsDwelling Approvals

Council provides quarterly reports on the number of dwellings approved in the Municipality. These numbers are provided to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment on a yearly basis.

Political donations

View current donations and expenditure declarations lodged by Councillors with the NSW Electoral Commission.