Hire terms and conditions

Fees and charges

All fees and charges are set annually for the financial year as part of Council’s Fees and Charges. 


A bond is required to be paid as a damage deposit.  The bond will be refunded in full if the premises and all equipment is left in a clean, tidy, and undamaged state. Any repairs may be charged at external hire rates and deducted from the bond and/or additionally charged.


  • Payment can be made in person at Kiama Council or over the phone with a Mastercard or Visa card
  • Bookings require a 20% deposit within 5 business days of making the booking – booking will be held as tentative
  • This initial 5 business day period is referred to as the ‘Booking Period’
  • If the 20% deposit is not paid within the Booking Period, the reservation will be cancelled
  • The balance of payment (less deposit) must be received no less than 5 business days from the usage date.

Cancellations and amendments

  • Requests for cancellation must be emailed to council@kiama.nsw.gov.au
  • If a booking is cancelled or amended ≤3 business days from the date of use, zero refund or alteration to the amount payable applies (*except in extenuating circumstances)
  • Cancellations or amendments to hours of use 3-5 business days from the date of usage will result in the equivalent of 90% refund of hire fees
  • Cancellations >5 business days will result in a full refund of any fees previously paid
  • Changes to hours of use >5 business days will result in change to fees payable
  • For the purposes of hall hiring, *extenuating circumstances refers to situations where the hirer is impacted by events outside their direct control and will be at the discretion of a Coordinator or Manager to approve or decline.


Any key issued for access must be returned on the first working day after the completion of the approved use otherwise the cost of replacement will be taken from the licence holders credit card details.

Keys can be collected from Council’s Customer Services between 8:45am and 4:15pm Monday – Friday.

Regular hirers

  • Please note that if you are requesting to hire > 5 bookings in the calendar year, should bookings drop to 5 or less bookings, you will be charged at the casual hirer rate
  • Storage of equipment within a hall is at your own risk. Council is not liable for any damage to your equipment, stored or otherwise.


It is the responsibility of the licence holder to undertake their own risk assessment of the area to be used and all uses/activities must be undertaken in accordance with it.

Indemnity and insurances

You must indemnify and hold harmless Council from and against all actions, sums of money, costs, claims, demands or other liabilities which may be sustained or suffered or recovered or made against Council which may arise out of your use/activity during the term of this short term licence.

If the building is used on behalf of an incorporated body, sporting clubs, educational or religious institutions/organisations and/or commercial enterprises, the licence holder must provide Council with Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency with a minimum cover of $20,000,000.

For unincorporated and/or social groups and not part of/acting on behalf of an organisation, the building use under short term licence will be incorporated with Council’s community support liability policy and deemed as a low risk booking. This policy is in place to protect licence holders against public liability claims arising from the use of Council property. A $2,500 excess applies to each claim payable by the licence holder under this policy.


All waste and recycling material must be properly disposed in the receptacles provided otherwise must be properly disposed elsewhere. Where a bond has been paid, the bond may be withheld in circumstances where Council has had to address unsatisfactory waste management. Where a bond has not been paid the permit holder may be invoiced separately for any waste management costs.

Public health

At all times it is the responsibility of the hirer to comply with any Public Health Orders in place and to implement the necessary operational requirements/management associated with public health orders. 


Unless specifically approved otherwise, use of public buildings is only permitted between 8:00am & 11:30pm. Building hire under licence allows for 30-minute bump-in/bump-out either side of the start/finish hire times.

Please also note:

  • Youth dances are not permitted
  • No additions or alterations are to be made to the structure, facilities, goods and equipment
  • The use of pins, glue, double sided tape, staple guns, nails and screws on any walls, floors, ceilings or furniture throughout the venue is not permitted
  • No items are to be attached to emergency lights, firefighting detection/fighting equipment or other fixtures
  • No decorations shall be affixed to the walls of the hall and all decorations must be removed from the premises after use; you are responsible for the removal of all decorative waste and unused materials after your event
  • The placement of lighted candles on tables and helium balloons are prohibited
  • The use of confetti, chewing gum, fireworks, straw, bales of hay, bean bags or any other items comprised of polystyrene or styrofoam are not permitted
  • Single-use plastic straws must not be provided or distributed on public property
  • Hirers must adhere to any signage displayed within a hall
  • Public halls contain equipment owned by regular hall hirers. Hirers must not use or move any equipment not part of their hall hiring agreement unless permission is obtained from the equipment owner.

Alcohol consumption

For Council to permit the consumption of alcohol at any Council community hall, it is the responsibility of the hirer to register their function on the NSW Police Force website: https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/party_safety.

Please note:

  • The hirer must complete registration no less than two (2) weeks prior to the hire of a community hall
  • Upon completion of the registration, the hirer will receive a registration number – this number must be provided to Council upon request
  • Hirers will forfeit their deposit if alcohol is consumed and this registration has not been completed
  • Police have the authority to enter Council’s facilities without notice and ask to see the Event Register.

Additionally, details are required with the application, including:

  • The organiser
  • Type of function
  • Anticipated number of people attending
  • Control of the service and consumption of alcohol/other substances.

The Hirer must have and provide to Council proof of approval to sell or serve alcohol before hall hire can be fully confirmed, as follows:

  • In order to sell alcohol - you will need to provide Council with a copy of your Liquor Licence via email to council@kiama.nsw.gov.au. Information regarding liquor licences can be obtained through Liquor and Gaming NSW www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au. Note: if you are licenced and you have obtained approval for the consumption of alcohol, you must always display any liquor permit during the Term whenever alcohol is being consumed
  • In order to serve alcohol - you will need to check with Liquor and Gaming NSW to verify if you require a Liquor Licence, then confirm that you have done so in writing to Council via email to council@kiama.nsw.gov.au
  • For attendees to bring their own alcohol (BYO), you are solely required to complete the above-mentioned Party Safety registration with NSW Police.

In any case, Council staff reserve the right to request further information regarding alcohol being brought into a Council hall.

Persons under the age of 18 years must not be served, supplied or sold liquor. To do so is an offence under the Liquor Act 2007 and subject to a penalty/fine.

Alcohol is NOT to be consumed or taken outside any of Council’s facilities. Alcohol may only be consumed when inside the building or adjoining enclosed fenced areas.


At no time can there be any unreasonable disturbance, annoyance or nuisance to other persons using the public place or to owners / occupiers of adjoining land.

The use of amplified music is to be limited to a maximum continuous duration of 3 hours.

The LAeq noise (ie; the equivalent continuous level measured over any 15 minute period during the broadcast of amplified music) shall not exceed 5dBA above the background when measured at the property boundary of the nearest private residence.


No posters associated with the use/activity shall be placed on public infrastructure and property (eg: buildings, street furniture, light poles, bus stops) or displayed on a public place (including trailer, vehicle or structure).  Any advertising will be removed by Council and any bond paid can be used to cover the cost of rectification or invoicing for costs incurred in the removal.


Any damage to the property must be rectified.  Where damage has occurred or if not left in a pre-use state, any bond paid may not be released.  Where a bond has not been paid the booking holder may be invoiced separately (including external hire rates) for any rectification costs.

Public toilets

It is the responsibility of the hirer to ensure public toilets are left in a clean and tidy state after use. Where public toilets have been left in an untidy state, the hirer may be invoiced for toilet cleaning costs.


Where electricity or gas is available, it is the responsibility of the licence holder to ensure safety and adherence to relevant procedures, practices and regulations including the integrity of any leads or appliances used.

Managing emergencies and reporting incidents

  1. The licence holder must familiarise themselves with the Evacuation Plan on display at the facility before commencing any activities and in particular note the location of emergency exit doors
  2. The licence holder is responsible for ensuring that fire doors and emergency exits are not obstructed throughout the event. The placing of furniture, boxes or any other item or structure within two (2) metres or within the areas of the emergency exits is prohibited
  3. The licence holder is responsible for calling 000 and organising easy access for emergency vehicles in cases of emergency, serious injury or illness of anyone attending the event
  4. Fire equipment provided in all facilities is for emergency use only. Misuse of this equipment will incur fees for repair and replacement and can result in the forfeiting of the bond.
  5. Any emergency building issues that occur during an event should be reported to Council’s after hour service on 0417 686 477
  6. The licence holder must provide Council with full details of any incident that occurs during the event that resulted in the attendance of the Police, damage to Council property, or injury to a guest. These details must be reported to Council within 24 business hours after the event by emailing council@kiama.nsw.gov.au, or calling 4232 0444 during business hours.

Gerringong Town Hall bookings only

Crockery and cutlery in the kitchen belong to CMRI. If you would like to enquire about using their equipment, please call CMRI on 0410 540 991, or email cmrigerringong@gmail.com

Werri Beach Progress Hall bookings only

  • When used for birthday celebrations, is restricted to children’s birthdays up the age of 12 years
  • Can only be used after sunset for meetings or other low noise impact uses.