Sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area.
Make important decisions such as when to leave, what to take, and what to do with animals. Don't leave it until the last minute. Disasters can happen with little or no warning.
How will you and your family get to a safe place? You could be separated from each other. How will you contact each other?
Think about how you will protect your pets, important documents and valuable personal items.
The emergency service agencies have designed plans to help you Get Ready for specific hazards such as fire and flood.
Plan how you will escape a fire in your home and practice it with your family.
Prepare an emergency kit which might include:
- Battery operated radio with spare batteries
- Torch with spare batteries
- First aid kit and manual
- Mobile phone, spare batteries and charger
- Personal hygiene and toiletry supplies
- Copies of home and medical insurance policies
- Copies of important family documents such as birth certificates, passports and licences
- Contact numbers for emergency services, family members and people from your support team.
Prepare an evacuation kit which might include:
- Bottled water
- Supplies of prescribed medications including prescriptions
- Spare clothes and blankets
- Spare home and car keys
- Cash and credit cards
- Food and medications for your pets.